Austin Bank – Our Story, Our Difference
The Austin Family has personified banking in East Texas since 1909 when John F. Austin, Sr. became a founder of the First State Bank of Frankston. John and Sallie Austin’s son, Jeff Austin, Sr. and his son Jeff Austin, Jr., and daughter Jane Chapman continued to honor that legacy.
From 1944 through 1985, the Austin Family acquired six separate community banks in Big Sandy, Jacksonville, Longview, Rusk, Timpson, and Whitehouse. Other banks were also acquired in Troup and Grand Saline. In 1996 the separate banks were all renamed, Austin Bank. In 1997, Austin Bank purchased seven Bank of America locations throughout the East Texas area. All the individual banks were combined in 1999 under the bank charter of Austin Bank Texas N.A, in Jacksonville which was originally chartered and opened for business in 1900. Efforts to continue providing service in the East Texas area brought additional acquisitions. In 2004, the First National Bank of Bullard was purchased. In 2008, Austin Bank purchased City National Bank of Kilgore, adding locations in the communities of Kilgore and Gladewater plus additional locations in Longview. In 2010, the First State Bank of Frankston was merged into Austin Bank further expanding our service area in East Texas.
For four generations…more than 100 years, the Austin family has realized the need to maintain a bank that would provide the financial stability and trust that would in turn contribute to the growth and prosperity of the communities they serve. The Austin Bank philosophy today is derived from this lengthy legacy of service.
Austin Bank now serves the needs of families and businesses throughout the majority of communities in East Texas. Each year, as part of our ongoing commitment to these communities, Austin Bank employees give countless hours of volunteer service, and the bank contributes in direct support of local education, the arts, literacy, health and housing needs.